Smoke & Salt's Cranberry Bacon Jam, is a definite crowd pleaser, It incorporates the Christmas aromatics and Bacon - what's not to love? The jam is incredibly versatile, you could spread it on a piece of toast on a winter's morning or make it a condiment as part of your Xmas spread. It is both sweet and savoury at the same time. with a little tang from the vinegar and the best part is that it can be put in jars and kept for up to 3 months. We make our own bacon from bellies acquired from our friends over at Walter Rose & Son but you can buy yours OR keep an eye out for our own bacon recipe. This recipe will also be featuring in the winter edition of Good Thing's Magazine so when it hits shelves keep an eye out for it as well as other amazing ideas and recipes from all around the world.
1. In a large, hot pot, caramelize the bacon with the fat-side down until it turns golden in colour.
2. When some of the fat has melted out from the bacon add the onion, garlic & salt then cook on a low heat, with a lid on, until the onions start to turn clear in colour.
3. Add the sugar, black pepper, cider vinegar & spices then stir to dissolve the sugar, turn the heat to medium then reduce the vinegar by ½.
4. Add the cranberries, water, zest & juice stirring in well.
5. Leave on a medium heat and cook until the water has reduced, the bacon is tender and the mixture is sweet and sticky.
6. Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly before placing in a blender, pulsing a few times to yield a slightly sticky jam.
7. Taste to see if it needs any more seasoning before cooling in a prepared jar.
8. Serve on a chunky piece of grilled toast.